Thursday, January 20, 2011

Donna's Turn

So, I've had the same crockpot for 27 years. Not only did my girls get new crockpots for Christmas....I did too! I am excited to share in the adventures of "crocking" along with my daughters.

This following is my first recipe in the new crockpot. (Click on the title for the link)

Slow Cooker Pork Chops and Rice

Ingredients

  • 4 boneless, center cut pork chops
  • 1/3 cup uncooked brown rice
  • 2/3 cup uncooked white rice
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 8 ounces green peas
  • 1 (5 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
  • 4 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 10 ounces beef broth
  • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 (1 ounce) envelope dry onion soup mix
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper

Directions

  1. In a large skillet over medium heat, brown pork chops on both sides.
  2. Lightly spray the slow cooker with cooking spray. Then place brown and white rice, onion, butter, peas, water chestnuts, and mushrooms in the slow cooker. Pour in water, broth, and Worcestershire sauce. Stir in onion soup mix, season with pepper, and top with pork chops.
  3. Cover, and cook on Low setting for 7 to 9 hours, or on High setting for 4 to 5 hours.

My Tweaks

  1. Used 3 large center cut pork chops.
  2. My rice was a mixture of brown, white and red.
  3. Doubled the rice, mushrooms, water, beef broth and Worcestershire.
  4. Placed 2 of the pork chops in the rice mixture and one on top of the rice. The one on top was a bit more dry than the other two. I would suggest placing all pork chops within the rice mixture.













































Final Thoughts: This recipe was great. It was lacking on the seasonings so I would certainly spice it up a bit and definitely add salt.

Verdict:  A- (based on the actual recipe) and an A (after I tweaked it)

No comments: