Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Chicken Tortilla Soup

Chicken Tortilla Soup

mmmm.. mmmm. goood!

I don't ever order chicken tortilla soup. I have tasted it a few times, but I am usually not a fan of what they put in it. Well, I decided to give it a go and only put what I like in it. I found a few different recipes, tweaked them to my liking, and again, it was mmm mmm good!! I also made my own tortilla chips to go in it. Zak loves tortilla soup (that is why I decided to give it a go) and he too LOVED it!
Ingredients above, looking good!
Cooking in the pot.. I love the smell of my house during these 7 hours of cooking!

My hommade tortilla chips.
8 corn tortilla ships
rub oil (veg. canola. etc) on both sides
slice in desired strips
season with garlic, salt, and cumin
place in oven at 400 Degrees for 10 mins, or until desired crunch


I added cheese, a dollop of sour cream, and a beer   :)
WE ATE IT ALL! 

Ingredients

  • 1 pound chicken raw, unfrozen
  • 1 (15 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, mashed
  • 1 (10 ounce) can enchilada sauce
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chile peppers
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 (10 ounce) package frozen corn
  • 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro

Directions

  1. Place raw chicken, tomatoes, enchilada sauce, onion, green chiles, and garlic into a slow cooker. Pour in water and chicken broth, and season with cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper, and bay leaf. Stir in corn and cilantro. Cover, and cook on Low setting for 6 to 8 hours or on High setting for 3 to 4 hours.
Tweaks
  • I did not use water.. I added another can of chick broth so it would be more soupy and not watery.

No comments: